This page houses a list of Grand Lodges and Masonic statements of unity made in the wake of the June protests, and in response to the broader Black Lives Matter movement. As I have written before, I strongly support these statements.
Let other men make judgments about what Freemasonry is, by how Masonic leaders spoke & acted during this time. Let us be judged by our actions as Freemasons. All quotes below come directly from the statements, they are the words of our Grand Masters.
If you have updates or know of one that I have missed, please link it in the comments or let me know via Twitter.
- District of Columbia: “Freemasons will not succumb to the blind hatred of racial tension, nor contribute to inflaming those destructive passions.”
- Illinois: “With the senseless and unnecessary death of Mr. Floyd and countless others, our country has been pulled into a period of social unrest. We respect the rights of those to peacefully demonstrate or protest”
- Missouri: “We call upon all peoples of our state to not fall victim to racism, hatred or contribute to destructive expressions for the lack of progress. And to our members, be ever mindful that we are one Brotherhood and we should always be our brother’s keeper. United we will stand. Now, henceforth, and forever. “
- New York: “Any adverse treatment of anyone due to their color is anathema to our very tenets”
- North Carolina: “we together condemn intolerance, injustice, violence, and the ignorance that plagues the minds of those who would perpetuate horrendous acts of brutality and cruelty”
- Oklahoma: “We were taught to regard the whole human species as one family; the high and low, the rich and poor, who is created by one Almighty parent, and inhabitants of the same planet, are to aid and support and protect each other.”